Wednesday, October 28, 2015

SuperPro CX Vallejo - "this ain't no fooling around"

Since my mountain bike race season is now officially over I decided it’s time to really focus on this whole cyclocross racing thing. Desperate to get out there to get some CX racing experience I signed up for the first race on the calendar that I wasn’t working. It just happened to be SuperProRacing's Vallejo CX race at Dan Foley Park. I had no idea what to expect other than it sounded fun on the very brief description – “Short, steep ups and fast, curvy downs are in the mix” – great, I’m in!!!

While arriving  we could see little glimpses of the course on our way to park…”oohh, ahhh” came to mind when I saw the swooping downhills and off camber turns taped off for the  course. I was anxious to get in a low key pre-ride lap before the racing began so I hopped on the course as soon as we got there. It took no time to figure out that this wasn’t just another CX course. Crazy climbs. Murky mud crossings. Steep sketchy descents. Even a mini rat maze-like sand pit. I’m not gonna lie, I was a bit concerned. My tire selection was not one for such mixed terrain and it was quite the workout just doing an easy recon lap.

One of several mud crossings and right behind first place. Still clean!
Enough prelude, on to the race! Seeing that this was my first SuperPro race I was assigned to the back row of the start. I knew to have a chance of doing well I had to get up front in a very short amount of time. So when the race started I charged, bobbed, and weaved my way as much to the front as possible before the sharp right-hander into a curb followed by the first mud crossing. I was toward the front already and the girl in first place wiped out in the mud. The rest of us had to take measures to avoid her as we slide around the slippery turn into the next mud crossing. Somehow I ended up just behind the lead rider as we continued to cross through more mud followed by the sand trap and a steep climb.

Still feeling motivated and strong through the barriers.

For the rest of the lap I was able to keep first place in sight and still within reach. About halfway into the second lap I was motoring down a steep loose off-camber hill when my foot somehow unclipped from the pedal and sent my hurtling through deep wood chips that left me balled up on the ground. Even though I popped up fairly quickly I was a bit discombobulated and lost some of my mojo for a while. 1st place managed to pull ahead of me and I had no sense of who was behind me.

Made it safe down this "steeper than it looks" hill this time, but she had her way with me on the next go around.
Between pushing my physical limits and crashing I was becoming a bit sloppy. Another crash ensued going up a hill and I started to feel a bit worn at this point. After another mistake, I was passed. For much of the remainder of the race the two of us would battle back and forth taking turns leading the way. In the end she had a bit more power that allowed her to pull away at the end of the final lap. 

The on going battle for second place. Feeling (and looking) quite rubber legged at this point.

When it was all said and done I ended up in 3rd place out of 13 women. That'll do!


Another good showing for a newbie! However, I feel like I have so much more to learn and room to improve. Looking forward to my next race and learning experience. 



1 comment: