Tuesday, September 29, 2015

2015 Sacramento CX Race #1 - Orangevale Park

Ever since getting a taste of cyclocross at the Rock Lobster Cup about a month ago I have been chomping at the bit to give it another go.  The work and play scheduled aligned in such a way that I was able to attend the Sacramento CX Race season opener at Orangevale Park – Woohoo!

We rolled up a couple hours before race time and the place was already packed. Cool! Nice to see so many peeps wanting to play. After taking care of registration I did a few laps to check out the course. I must say, I was impressed with what a nice job they did of making it fun and interesting. 

Still applying the pressure halfway through the race
Photo by Gary Hudson
Race time! All the women lined up in waves according to their category. Some got called up to the front line while the rest of us had to file in behind them. I started with the B Women today. Before I knew it we were off, sprinting and zig-zagging through the grass, all jockeying for position. Anyone that knows anything about cross knows it’s a high intensity sport and this race was no different. Heart rate was already through the roof! I kept pushing anyway despite the fact that the temperature was nearing 90 degrees and I didn’t think my heart could pound any faster.


To make a long story short, I managed to hold my own and then some today. I was able to maintain a high intensity for the entire race, ride the whole sand pit (barrier included) each lap, and smoothly get on and off my bike for each obstacle: all of which are major victories.  In the end I managed to finish 5th out of 18 in the Open B Women category.  A satisfying result for a newbie to cyclocross. Can’t wait for the next race!


Thanks again to the hubby for supporting me in both word and deed. The Moots performed flawlessly, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment